Wedding Photos

Wedding Photos

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Battle in the kitchen...

There are a few things my husband and I just  can't seem to agree on.  The first battle we encountered when we moved in together that we are still arguing about now (and will probably disagree on for a while) is the dishwasher.

I am totally against using it!  I have yet to "meet" a dishwasher that performs properly.  The amount of work that goes in to rinsing, loading (strategically), unloading and most times rinsing again after a full cycle is much more trouble than doing dishes by hand.

We usually go round and around on this issue and for the most part I DO the dishes in our home.  It may sound unfair, but we split the rest of the kitchen chores. My honey usually picks up the table, puts away the leftovers and dishes after they are washed. In the end cleaning the kitchen is still a team effort.

Despite both agreeing to disagree every now and then my husband insists on bringing up the issue.  It is usually when I ask him to wash the dishes generated (by him only) while I am out of town or he is at home alone on a day off.  Like most, he hates to wash dishes and wants to load them on the dishwasher.  I don't see the point of wasting so much energy to run the washer when the number of dirty dishes created by one or two people are so little.  The argument then moves to waiting until we have a full dishwasher?

I can go on and on about this mundane house chore, but I must confess.  Every dishwasher that I've had either at an apartment or at home now I have not purchased myself and has usually been an "affordable" model that performs "moderately".  Also, the fact that our pots and pans aren't dish washer safe and need to be hand washed anyway gives some weight to my side of the debate.  What usually ends our argument is agreeing to one day splurge on a top of the line dishwasher.  I just hope that it performs well and it doesn't end up being a waste of money. Until then I am sure this argument will come up again..






3 comments:

  1. Even if you get the dishwasher for him, won't the sink still be there for you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As long as I want to keep from having to replace expensive pots and pans I will be washing them by hand and my relationship with the kitchen sink will never end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To each their own. For me, I wouldn't waste energy arguing over this little thing. I'd just get him the dishwasher.

    Simple. Easy. Done.

    ReplyDelete