Wedding Photos

Wedding Photos

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Slaving in the kitchen.

It's been several weeks since I've cooked more than three meals during the work week.  Work has been the biggest factor. I am grateful my husband does not mind leftovers or that as long there is food to eat in the house he can fend for himself pretty well without relying on takeout.

This afternoon I thought I would make an effort to cook something labor intensive that I would never have time to prepare during the week.  I made "Chiles Rellenos".

Now at my forty something I had never made them (start to finish) on my own.  Usually I have assisted "Mamacita" and let me tell you, I don't know how she cooks them all on her own on top of a kid friendly (for my picky eating siblings and nephew) dish like "Flautas" or "Tacos" when she gathers us for family dinners.

Usually when I cook at home, my honey shares in the work, but I thought I would tackle the job by myself as a way to make up for my lack of cooking lately.  That, and my honey was wiped out from his long run today (he is training again for another marathon).

Anyways, after blistering, seeding, stuffing, battering, frying and finally simmering, the Chiles came out pretty decent. Of course the kitchen was a different story. It looked like I used every utensil and appliance in the kitchen, so cleaning up was what pushed this dish to the labor-intensive category. As if that wasn't enough, the frying (which I rarely ever do) caused to have me re-mop the kitchen floor which I had already tackled yesterday.

My honey was pretty happy, and I am glad he is the type of man who appreciates a home cooked meal.

2 comments:

  1. Those look awesome. Chile rellenos are my specialty. I remember my wife's parents (full Mexican) laughed at me when they heard a white boy was going to cook them rellenos. They tried them and had to swallow their pride when they said not only was it good, it was the best relleno they had ever tasted. Don't count out the white boy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, if Chiles Rellenos are your specialty then you are a man who really cooks! My husband goes thru the same; people can't believe a "gringo" can make such great tasting salsa! I am trying to convince him to enter a competition that will be held during an annual chili festival next month

    ReplyDelete