Wedding Photos

Wedding Photos

Saturday, June 27, 2020

On the Menu


Indulged in late afternoon lunch with my honey.  I spent my noon time speaking over the phone with my Tia (aunt) and friend who lives up in Hobart, Indiana and was lucky enough to have had a patient husband who didn’t have a problem with me claiming the kitchen for my chat.  It only became an emergency to get off the phone when he poked his head in at about 1:30 p.m. and seem to decide I still needed privacy before he turned and walked out.  I honestly can talk to my aunt for hours! 

Anyway, I quickly got off the phone and since it was past “feeding time” for my honey, who has an internal clock that always lets him know it’s noon! I felt awful that he waited until past 2 before he ever showed signs of HANGER.  I offered to make him a quick and yummy sandwich for lunch if he didn’t have a game plan or know what he wanted to eat.

I got in the zone and started pulling a few of my favorite ingredients.  After completing what I felt was a masterpiece I could not wait to have him take a bite!  I put a lot of thought on how to layer the ingredients and was excited to see his reaction.  I don’t know that he was as excited as I, but he liked the sandwich and we had a nice meal at the kitchen table.  Said table partially covered with a couple of my sketches and supplies and in this week’s make-shift desk/work area.  (My honey travels between our dining room, coffee, and kitchen table.)

While enjoying our lunch he read what I assume was news or blogs online and I looked around at all the supplies at close reach.  I was still high on the flavors of the sandwich I was eating when inspiration tickled my brain.  Thinking I really wanted to have this sandwich again I thought of writing it down as one of my favorite recipes. I grabbed a note pad and pen from within reach and set out to write down a quick draft before pulling my recipe journal  Like many, I have tons of recipe books,  printed recipes I’ve found online and even a few torn from magazines.  I have copied only my favorites on to a recipe journal that also contains a few of my creations and some handed down from different family members. It is my own recipe book.

My thought process was to list the ingredients in the order they were laid out to be able to (like any recipe) recreate it.  ---  How many times have I written the word recipe?  Count for your own amusement!

The thought popped up how just listing the ingredients, without measurements/quantities sort of made it read like and item on a menu.  Hey, we should start a sandwich menu.  I looked across and demanded that my honey accept the privilege to name the sandwich.  He plays along with my random thoughts just as much as I do with his. (Yep, love that man of mine!) Anyways, I wrote down his name. (the name he came up with, not my honeys actual name).

The Maclovio – Dark toasted Oatnut whole grain bread with layer of sandwich spread, crispy Romine lettuce, thick slice of Jalapeno Jack cheese, warm thinly sliced Boarhead honey-roasted turkey, Roma tomatoes, pickle chips, and layer of coarse grain mustard. 

As I wrote I ate and let my mind flow.. My inner monologue Not a sandwich menu but our own house menu. How cool (yep, “cool” is still my word!) would it be to write a kitchen menu?  Suddenly a small plate of nachos appeared in front of me. Like usual, my honey inhaled his lunch and also as usual the portion of food I gave him was not adequate for his hunger.  

I picked a nacho chip or two since he offered and said to him, “I name these TRINITY NACHOS!" They have 3 ingredients and we can maybe make the name of menu items (no longer just sandwiches) relatable to family members. (One of our relatives is named Trinity). I asked my honey to write down his "creation."

As I continued to eat my sandwich, I transferred my rough draft of the sandwich recipe and scribbled it onto a clean yellow notepad paper.  I came up with a third entry to our menu, the Sweet Marilyn (named after another relative). A dessert I found online that is made up of baked granny smith apples, melted butter, brown sugar, ground cinnamon and oats. 

Create your own house menu. This is another idea for your quarantine entertainment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment